The Patton Law Firm, LLC
mobile icon
Discuss Your Case With An Experienced Attorney
Ph: 440-220-6398
Menu Contact

You can appeal the decision of an administrative agency

Administrative agencies make decisions that affect people's lives every day, and you might believe an agency erred when making a decision affecting your professional life.

An appeal might be your next step if you were:

  • Denied admission to an examination
  • Denied the issuance or renewal of a license
  • Denied registration of a licensee
  • Given a revocation or suspension of your license
  • Denied the opportunity to pay a forfeiture

An appeal must follow Ohio statutory guidelines and requirements, including where to file an appeal.

Are appeals not all filed in the same place?

No. Ohio law specifies where you file your appeal. The court of common pleas where the business is located receives appeals, except the following appeals, which Franklin County handles:

  • The state medical board
  • The state chiropractic board
  • The board of nursing
  • The liquor control commission
  • The bureau of workers' compensation (health partnership program participation)

In addition, anyone conducting business or residing outside Ohio would also file an appeal in Franklin County.

What does an appeal entail?

You and your attorney must send a notice of appeal to the appropriate agency and the court. This document outlines the details of the order upon which you base your appeal and why the denial fails to comply with the law and that no probative, substantial or reliable evidence supports the decision made by the agency.

Unless the court finds that an agency's order causes you undue hardship, it remains in effect during the appeals process. In determining whether to suspend the order, the court also considers whether suspending the order puts the public at risk.

The agency must submit its records regarding the case within 30 days of receipt of the notice of appeal. The court may grant an extension of no more than 30 days if the evidence suggests the agency is attempting to comply. To get a copy of the records, you pay a deposit with the filing of the notice of appeal.

The hearing on your appeal is based solely on these records, which is why, if the agency fails to provide the records within the allowed time, the court automatically rules in your favor. If the matter goes to hearing, the court could allow additional evidence.

The decision of the court is considered conclusive and final. However, further appeals are possible under the same system as other civil actions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Want To Learn More?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
office map
The Patton Law firm, LLC

The Patton Law Firm, LLC
33595 Bainbridge Road Suite 200A
Solon, OH 44139-2981

Phone: 440-220-6398
Fax: 440-201-6465
Solon Law Office Map